Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Oscars Are Retarded



So the Oscar nominations were announced this morning. A million of film nerd blogs have about a million different things to say about them so I'll try to keep this brief. First of all, I don't even know why I bother even mildly caring about what the Academy has to say. I mean, have they ever once done anything I agree with? Ok, last year was a decent year. "No Country For Old Men" was deserving of Best Picture. And maybe that's where I went wrong. It's like dating a girl who you don't really like all that much and is kind of dull and boring but every once in a great while says something pretty cool and funny and you are like "ok, well...I guess this isn't THAT bad".

I'm not going to get on my soapbox and complain about Dark Knight or Wall-E getting snubbed because the fact of the matter is...those movies were good, not great. But, seriously, The Reader? Here is definitive proof the Academy will vote for any old, boring, frumpy hag as long as she's tarted up in a Holocaust pantsuit. I'm not talking about Kate Winslet. It's a metaphor, duh.

I don't know. What's the point of getting all worked up about it when the fact of the matter is that the Oscars don't really mean anything?

No comments: