I am going through that right now with the new Of Montreal album, "Skeletal Lamping".

I can't imagine an album topping it this year so let's go ahead and call it album of the year.
It's got everything I like about Kevin Barnes (aka Of Montreal). Up tempo dance beats, touching ballads, fucked up lyrics, Beatles-esque pop and an interesting concept (it's about a black drag queen named Georgie) all floating in a meticulously produced ocean of slight psychedelia. He also pushes the boundaries of song structure more than he ever has. Making good on the promise hinted at with the 12 minute "The Past Is a Grotesque Animal" from his last album, "Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?". Songs contain multiple melodies, choruses, production, time signatures and narratives sometimes within a span of 4 and a half minutes. It's like an album full of Radiohead's "Paranoid Android" if it were written by a flamboyantly gay dude stuck in the disco era.
Some of the stand out lines:
"I'm so sick of sucking the dick of this cruel, cruel city"
"Want to make you ejaculate til it's no longer fun"
"I want you to be my pleasure puss. I want to know what's like to be inside you"
"I'm a motherfucking headliner, bitch. You don't even know it. Process it!"
Download "Plastis Wafers" from somewhere. Now. It's the jam. Or better yet, buy the album when it comes out.
No comments:
Post a Comment